I'm so excited to finally be able to say that I'm finished with the vintage chair that I showed you all awhile back! My first ever full scale upholstery job (while I was working on it I learned some helpful things by recovering these simple kitchen chairs and this cushion)!
My number one thought on doing upholstery yourself is, "It's hard, sweaty and frustrating but it's not as impossible as it looks and the rewards are worth it!"
Thanks so much to all those who encouraged me along the way and left sweet comments!!!!!!!! Also, big thanks to Sarah from Three Boys for all her great pointers and inspiration and to my mid 80's grandparents who learned how to upholster during the Great Depression (necessity is the mother of invention) and passed their tips on to me!
I took these pictures in the unfinished upstairs of the farmhouse we rent. That is where I worked on the chair to keep little fingers and toes away from all the staples! I can't wait to finish our new house so I can show you pics of my chair in it's new home!
First, I pulled all the old fabric off taking care to label each piece in the order it came off so that I could put the new pieces back on in the opposite order. I did chang a few design things while putting it back together which goes to show that you can mix it up a bit.
I then used the old pieces as patterns for the new pieces. I would definately recommend adding some length to what you cut out, I was short in a few spots with was a pain to fix!
I pieced some batting together to replace the worn out original.
The primary sewing that I did was making the decorative welting cord (bias tape over rope I had on hand) and sewing right around the curve of the arms. I had the worst time getting these things done with my hand-me-down sewing machine and realized that I'm going to have to do something about it!
Fabric -(which I feel lucky to have found at my closest Wal-Mart--which is 40miles away)
It was $13.75 for three yards which left me enough for a footstool or pillows. The pattern is "Ansley Park."
Staples - I used about a half a box which I'm estimating under $4, I had them on hand already from my husbands shop.
Wood stain, cord and batting I also had on hand
So, for under twenty dollars (and like a hundred hours in labor =) I have this fun and unique chair!